Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Turning NO into YES

This morning my little princess asked me to make Heart pancakes, and pulled out a heart shaped cake pan. I said, no, we don't use that pan for pancakes, and I don't really feel like making shaped pancakes with the cookie cutters today. The boys and I have the seasonal crud and frankly I haven't slept well in weeks and all I could do was think about how icky I felt. Yup - all about me.

Meanwhile, my little morning glory has happily moved on to helping me get the pancake ingredients (uh, not so hard - cheating and using mix today due to above mentioned cruddy feeling). As we mixed the pancakes and I got the frying pan into place, and scooped up some batter to make the first cake, I looked at the beautiful face of my little princess and thought about how easy it would be to make the pancake a "perfect" heart and brighten her morning instead of a round pancake.

And so I poured the batter into the rough shape of a heart and her eyes lit up and she was so excited about the "heart pancakes" that I made just for her. She was happy and a simple slip of the hand showed her yet again that I love her and want her to be happy. And yet, the whole thing started with a disappointed girl because my first instinct was a no. I need to again think about making no's into yes's more often. Such a simple change brightened both of our mornings.

No comments:

Post a Comment