Friday, April 24, 2009

Sickies - bah!

I think that children getting colds before they are old enough to understand what is going on it just cruel. Its bad enough that the older two and myself are sick, but poor little baby monkey is just miserable, which in turn makes the rest of us more miserable due to lack of sleep. He can't breathe well and wakes himself and then cries and screams. I get him up, suck out his skull with that cruel aspirator and then have to calm him back down so he can nurse back to sleep. Half an hour later, we start again, rinse, lather, repeat through the night. It has been slightly helpful to have him sleep in the recliner, upright, but I cannot get comfortable there, and therefore I sleep poorly anyway.

At 5 a.m. I was talking to daddy monkey before he left for work for (gulp) twenty-four hours and we were discussing how it is so comfortable to take a nap in the recliner when you pass out there watching t.v. or whatever, but when you intentionally try to sleep there you sleep horribly. Its quite sad. Honestly, last night consisted of 6 or 7 batches of sleep, each 20-45 minutes long interrupted by little monkey coughing, waking, screaming...

And of course the older littles are sick as well and therefore not sleeping well either, so they're cranky and its just all around a rough day. With daddy coming home for lunch then being gone until tomorrow morning, this could be a really long day! However, I guess I am a bit spoiled because the kids are so healthy generally, and we're just not used to dealing with sick kiddos! I can't imagine how draining it would be to have a child who is seriously ill. I am thankful that God realizes that this is not something I can handle! I hope he stays firm in that thinking, as I cannot imagine how difficult it would be to be the parent of a seriously ill child. I'll say a little prayer the next time I start to get frustrated with today because honestly, things could easily be much worse!

No comments:

Post a Comment