Monday, April 13, 2009

Survey says...

Overall, I think it was a good day - definitely more "yes" than "no" day. The kids are excited about story time at the library tomorrow and ended the day with a nice dinner out, Logan's Roadhouse runs a deal on Mondays and Tuesdays with $2.99 kids meals and 2 adult meals for $13.99, so we can all eat supper for $20 + tax/tip/adult beverages for steaks and so on (albeit small portions, but still, we left full). The kids were well behaved and ate like normal human beings rather than aliens or dogs or vacuum cleaners and it was pleasant. We were able to have conversations with them and eat good food that I didn't have to prepare... bonus all around!

Tomorrow, little big man starts T-ball. Daddy is coaching his team and he is very excited to be able to begin playing. Its so weird to think that my little monkey is old enough for organized sports when he can't even tie his own shoes (do they even make tie shoes for kids any more?). I have to figure out a snack that fits in with the good-for-you but not homemade theme. Why do they do that anyway? We want you to bring healthy snacks, but you can't make them cause you might put pot in their brownies or something? Really? I'm thinking more of burying spinach or cooked carrots in them.

Ugh - sometimes I wish this were still the 50's and everything was homemade and it wasn't weird that a mother preferred not to send packaged crap with their kids to an event. I wish it were the norm that mom's (or even dad's) cooked real food and equally as important taught their children to cook real food, where nothing comes from boxes or packages, rather raw ingredients (as much as is possible - I don't think we have to go all pilgrim and mill our own wheat or anything) that generally resemble that which was their original form. No, I'm not June Cleaver but I do appreciate a nice meal, from scratch with real food, no cans or boxes. Mostly I want to be able to control what KIND of junk my kids eat.

Oh for the good old days!

No comments:

Post a Comment